The purpose of this segment is to explain the budgetary policies and process of the City of Port Lavaca. This narrative describes the legal requirements, budgeting standards, and basic rationale of the budget process.
Purpose of the Budget
The purpose of the annual operating budget of the City of Port Lavaca is to:
- Act as a financial plan which describes the activities that will be undertaken during the current fiscal year.
- Define the resources available for the completion of those activities.
- Determine the level of taxation necessary to generate required revenue resources.
- Act as an operations guide by providing levels of expenditures allowed for the accomplishment of departmental and program objectives.
- Provide the public with information about the activities and objectives of the various city departments and programs and the financial condition of the City.